Delicious, healthy and versatile, mushrooms are the star ingredient along with baby spinach, pine nuts & lemon in this light and crunchy salad.
0:20 Prep / 0:10 Cook / 4 Servings
• 6 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
• 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
• 1 egg
• 1 tablespoon milk
• 4 (330g total) portabello mushrooms, thickly sliced
• Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
• 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
• 70g baby spinach
• 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
• Lemon wedges, to serve
Process bread and cheese until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate. Whisk egg and milk together in a bowl. Dip mushroom pieces, 1 at a time, in egg mixture, followed by breadcrumb mixture. Transfer to a plate. Pour vegetable oil into a frying pan until 1cm deep. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook mushroom, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
Whisk oil and balsamic vinegar together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add spinach. Toss to combine. Serve topped with mushroom, pine nuts and lemon wedges.
Author: Katrina Woodman Image credit: Mark O’Meara Publication: Super Food Ideas